1. Questions aren’t enough. An essay has to come up with answers.
2. At one point in this essay I found that after following a certain thread I ran out of ideas. I had to go back seven paragraphs and start over in another direction.
3. So what’s interesting? For me, interesting means surprise.
4. The more anomalies you’ve seen, the more easily you’ll notice new ones.
5. Study lots of different things, because some of the most interesting surprises are unexpected connections between different fields.